AWARD WINNING Teacher
- 40 years of teaching experience in Michigan and California, middle school, high school, and college levels.
- Recipient of multiple local, and national teaching awards.
- Six-time winner of "Who's Who Among American Teachers."
- Guest speaker for elementary students on success issues,
and Pay It Forward concepts.
- B.S. in Education (1970), M.A.(1982), Central Michigan University.
- Further studies, Florida State, Michigan State, Northern Michigan University.
- Family life home economics major, sociology minor.
- Concentrations in child development, health education, counseling.
- Topics taught: personal growth, birth, death, health, happiness, success, creativity, child development,
home economics, life management, human sexuality, consumer education, interior design, study skills,
decision-making, and goal setting.
- University presentations and keynote addresses to educators and student teacher groups.
- Speaker at local and state teacher conferences, Michigan leadership conferences.
- Frequent speaker at parent meetings, award presentations, community, church groups, classroom guest motivator.
- Public television appearances on educational and teenage issues.
- Active member of Toastmasters International, Grover Beach, CA.
- Appeared before numerous local, state, national, and international audiences, using stories for motivational teaching.
- Speaker at the National Future Educators Association Conference, Baltimore, 2012.
- Taught and applied motivational skills to create a mindset for winning results.
- Extensively involved in local and state coaching organizations in Michigan.
- Coached state champions and coached multiple undefeated seasons
in track and field.
- Former head coach of the Northeast Intermediate Boys' Track team, Midland, MI.
- Former volunteer coach, Midland High School men's and women's
- Head coach for cheerleading, pom-pon, swimming and diving team,
track and field team.
- Nominated for National Middle School Coach of the Year.
- Chicken Soup for the Soul in the Classroom®, a curriculum guide, co-authored with Canfield and Hansen (2007).
- Magic Moments: This Worked for Me (2010).
- Caring to Teach, Teaching to Care, co-authored with Dave Opalewski (2011).
- Op Ed columnist with the Midland Daily News for two years on educational issues,
"Classroom with a View".
- Published curriculum, workbooks, short stories, memoirs, poetry, newsletters, articles on education and coaching.
- Part-time creative writing teacher, Allan Hancock College, Santa Maria, CA.
- Writing Contests:
- Winner: SLO Nightwriters' Short Story Contest, 2010
- Winner: SLO Nightwriters' Poetry Contest, 2011
- Third Place: SLO Nightwriters' Poetry Contest, 2011
- Winner: Central Coast Writers’ Conference, Poetry, 2011
- Third Place: Central Coast Writers’ Conference, Fiction, 2011
- Third Place: Central Coast Writers’ Conference, Creative Non-fiction, 2011
INVOLVED Community Member
- Education Director, Pay It Forward Foundation.
- Recipient of Lloyd Osborn Service and Leadership Award to Midland Sports and Community.
- Extensive work to improve student success and literacy world-wide.
- Has served on several school, local, and state committees and boards.
- Active member, Toastmasters International.
- Active member of SLO Nightwriters, and three writing and/or critique groups.
- Founder and active member, creative artists group.
- Occasionally takes time to read, write, curl up with her husband and cats, walk on the beach, or ride her motorcycle.